[Amps] Russian power L-coupler

Peter Chadwick g3rzp at g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 17 11:37:20 EST 2006

Peter said:
>My first TRX in 1963 was a Wireless Set No.19 MkIII equipped with the 807 in
the final.
That radio also used a variometer as an ATU, it was a very quick and
reliable means of coupling random wires or verticals to the rig from 2-8MHz<

I had forgotten the 19 set - mainly, I suppose, because I never had a very high opinion of its performance!!! But yes, it had a variometer in series with the antenna.
Other than in the 500kHz region, I never saw one used in a tx over 100 watts or so, although that doesn't mean a lot. There may well have been QRO tx's at HF that did.
73
Peter G3RZP