[Amps] Collins 30L-1 Bouncy Meter

Gudguyham at aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Mon Nov 27 18:45:40 EST 2006

In a message dated 11/27/2006 6:20:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jsternmd at earthlink.net writes:

I have a  30L-1 with a real "bouncy" meter.  When switching from DC volts
(~1900V)  to either Tune or DC Amps, the meter swings down to about minus
400-600v  before coming back to rest at Zero.  Also, when first powering on, it
overshoots and pins the DC Volt scale.  Checking the same action on my  other
30L-1 shows that there is no overswing to negative numbers when  switching deom DC
Volts to Tune or DC Amps and it goes quickly and  smoothly
from 1900 to zero.  Is the wide swing indicative of a bad  meter?

Jerry
K1JOS

Sounds like it could be a bad meter shunt resistor for the position that it
bounces in.  There are shunts for each value the meter reads.   Lou