[Amps] Bizarre SB-230 meter failure

John Pelham john at radiophile.com
Sun Oct 8 12:45:18 EDT 2006

I'm here to do my part to liven up this reflector.  Here's how my SB-230
meter saga worked out.  Recall that I took my Heathkit SB-230 out of 15-year
storage, and discovered that the powdered-iron permanent magnet in its meter
had disintegrated.  I checked with the usual sources of Heath parts and came
up empty.  I found a junker SB-230 (with an apparently good meter) at a
hamfest but was unable to bargain its owner down to what I considered a
reasonable price.

I eventually found that the company, Jewell Instruments, that made the
original meter for Heath is still in business and they can still supply the
very same meter.  So I bought one and installed it.  (I had to swap meter
faces as the original custom one for the SB-230 is no longer available.)
The amp is now installed in my station and working fine.  The only problem,
which I had to overcome, was the price of the new meter: $100.

73 es DX, W1JA

http://www.radiophile.com