[Amps] PEP power..

Gudguyham at aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Mon Oct 16 02:00:50 EDT 2006

In a message dated 10/16/2006 12:47:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
sm2ekm at telia.com writes:

peak  envelope power (of a radio transmitter): The average power supplied
to the  antenna transmission line by a transmitter during one radio
frequency  cycle at the crest of the modulation envelope taken under
normal operating  conditions

This is a direct quote from the ARRL handbook which is always my source of
information.  Yes, during one cycle there can be many "spikes" but there is
also many lower values too.  Since the term is "envelope", I think they  want us
to consider the entire crest of the cycle as opposed to just any  one spike.
Therefore that is how I think the 2 to 1 ration was  formed.  Granted an SSB
waveform is complex but maybe we are getting hung  up on semantics as SK2EKM
suggests.  Lou