[Amps] Peak Power

Harold Mandel ka1xo at juno.com
Mon Oct 16 10:37:25 EDT 2006

What does it matter how much power is capable of
being generated by an amateur station when the operator
monitors the power output so as not to exceed the limitations
of his license class and the limitations of the band operated in?

I run 2KW in some bands and 200 watts in other bands, even though
my equipment can easily exceed that power, can transmit out-of-band,
and can over modulate (splatter) if I so desire.

An FCC inspector is welcome to visit and to look over my station. In
NYC one actually did, because my neighbors complained about my
6 meter AM signals bashing their wooden television sets in 1962.

The FCC inspector saw what I was running, saw my B&W filters
and the end result was while not being cited I was restricted to "quiet
hours"
because of the inability of the tube operated television sets to reject
50MHz
energy.

We can go right to Continental and order a 20KW transmitter tomorrow, have
them ship it, hook it up to 3-phase power, warm it up and if we have the
license,
transmit with it at the maximum allowed power at a particular frequency our
license
allows us to emit at. An FCC inspector has no ability to say we are not
allowed to
own any equipment. If the FCC cares to conduct a field investigation their
observed
data must show Werp that exceeds the licensed service, and not what it might
be capable of.

That's the same thing as getting busted for having a car that can go 150MPH,
or for
having a working airplane in a hanger, but no pilot's license.

Broadcasters are required to have Log Entries for the transmitter (at least
they used to), that
shows the plate voltage, plate current, etc. This was used for the
Proof-Of-Performance
testing and to show to an FCC inspector should there be a problem with the
radiated signal.

Amateurs used to keep log books, too, that showed power levels. We had to
keep them
for a year or so, and the rules used to be that we had to have operated a
minimum amount
to renew licenses. Not any more, though.

Hal
W4HBM