[Amps] More information for "What NOT to buy"..

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Mon Oct 23 15:40:21 EDT 2006

Hi Clint,

How extensive is your collection of back-issues of QST, & CQ...?

Lew McCoy penned an absolute must-read article for would-be builders such as yourself in a 1970 issue of QST, entitled "The Junker Linear Amplifier". TONS of absolutely GREAT tips for beginners --- it sure did inspire me, I can tell you...

Also in the late 80's (I think) he wrote "The Silver-City Kilowatt" for CQ --- another great read about salvaging parts & getting a lot out of practically nothing...yet another "must-read" for neophytes.

If you have back issues of Ham Radio magazine, the late-great Bill Orr (W6SAI) wrote an excellent 3-part series on the design & construction of linear amplifiers in the late 70's. Written in plain language, it's an excellent foundation on the the genre...

So you see, you really don't need a flesh-and-blood Elmer to make one of these things --- the legacy of Lew McCop & Bill Orr is timeless in this regard!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ