[Amps] More information for "What NOT to buy"..

Gudguyham at aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Tue Oct 24 09:07:49 EDT 2006

In a message dated 10/24/2006 8:32:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rstealey at hotmail.com writes:

Just ask  Lou, W1QJ, how many bad bandswitches
he has seen from  SB-22os.

My experience is 7 out of 10 SB-220's have at least one burnt  contact.  The
amps still may work because the contacts are redundant, but  the slightest
problem will make an arc.  I should compile a photo shoot of  all the bad ones I
have kicking around.  Of course when I buy an Sb-220,  the band switch is not
my concern so no sweat.  I have had several Drake  L4B amps and never did I
see a bad band switch on one of them.  Even the  Dentron and Amp Supply amps
have better band switches.  As to why they burn  up?  well that discussion could
land you in jail :-)   The 2  Sb-220 amps that I actually ever used on the air
I bought as kits and built  myself so I knew the condition of the band
switch.  I used an Sb-220 for  many years and got good service form it.  Careful
tuning kept it in good  condition.  Later on when I decided to go to the next
level of Amplifier I  bought an Ameritron Al-1500 and i am totally pleased with
it.  I am  basically a Dxer, but it seems that the contesters prefer the
Al-1200, which I  do agree has a near indestructible tube.  73 Lou