[Amps] Astrons catching on Fire

W7RY w7ry at centurytel.net
Sat Sep 2 12:15:14 EDT 2006

I have used, sold and repaired LOTS of Astron supplies. Mountain top
repeater sites included. I have never experienced a "fire" inside. Nor
have I seen a circuit board get hot or overheat.

I have had the MOV that is across the AC input explode due to a voltage
spike, but the supply kept on working.

I have also never seen one without a pot to set the voltage output.

Your experience with fire seems odd to me.

A linear power supply is incapable of generating RF noise unless there
is a DEFECTIVE diode generating hash.

73
Jim W7RY