[Amps] Parasitics & Filament Sag

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Mon Sep 4 19:12:52 EDT 2006

> To some extent but what I and I believe others are looking
> at is a typical L-R-C type of circuit. Not where you have
> R in the L branch and R in the C branch. This makes it a
> fish of an entirely different sort!

1.) Every circuit has R in the L and in the C branch. The
inductor is especially problematic for component Q
limitations

2.) Resonance has several equally correct or commonly used
definitions

3.) Resonance has little to do with the long drawn out
argument

Bypass capacitors and series inductances in the path from
the bias switching and the tube characteristics limit the
slew rate of any plate current change caused by opening or
closing a relay (or any other bias change). The sharpest
rise time or deltaV/t that could ever occur would be during
actual operation of the amplifier. It could never be caused
by a bias change.

When the obviously false notion a bias change can have a
waveform change so sharp it will "ring" a VHF circuit in the
anode system of an HF amplifier is coupled with the fact
that a spectrum analyzer could never capture a dampened
waveform, the whole theory falls apart. There are far larger
holes in this idea than a debate about the definition of
resonance. It sounds like a bad theory brought about through
improper use or understanding of test equipment.

73 Tom