[Amps] Henry 3K-A Step Start Resitor Cone

Phil Clements philc at texascellnet.com
Wed Sep 6 11:21:22 EDT 2006

> The ones like a stretched spring wound in a spiral on a ceramic former
> make
> great glitch resistors - no problem with voltage breakdown, current
> capacity
> or dissipation in normal use. The ones I have are 240V/1kW rated and
> measure
> around 30ohms cold.

Amen, Steve. They make a really robust glitch resistor, as well as a
step-start resistor. Henry used these when they opted to let the operator be
the "step-start timer" by making it a position on the mains on/off switch on
many models of their amps. Since it was possible for the switch to
inadvertently be left in "start" for long periods of time, they needed more
wattage than a 25-50 watt wire-wound unit usually found in these circuits.
The threads on the unit are common light bulb threads.

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC