[Amps] NOS 4CX1000A test and reconditioning

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Sat Sep 9 15:40:29 EDT 2006

Paul,

> Since most commercial broadcast transmitters use directly-heated
> cathodes, warm-up time is not much of an issue.  Many transmitters
> use time-delays that far exceed what is required in order to apply
> excitation to the PA and IPA.  That said, glass tubes used at HF
> may fare better than the example described above, but the cost v.
> benefit cannot be justified even in the most intensely competitive
> major markets.

Most of the TV transmitters used indirectly heated filaments that
had significant warm-up time.  Timers were typically 10 to 15
minutes although manufacturers often specified the filament time
at 5 to 7 minutes.

When spots in an NCAA "Final Four," Super Bowl, "local" university
football game, World Series, etc. were going for enough that the
loss of revenue from one 2 minute local break may have represented
the salary of the most highly compensated staff person, "hot
stand-by" was not even a question.

Now that most UHF transmitters use paralleled amplifiers to make
the necessary power levels and most of the new VHF transmitters
are solid state a "hot standby" isn't as common but I know a few
places that still run them.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV