[Amps] Fixed Padding Capacitors at Plate Tuning --- EPILOGUE

Ed Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Thu Sep 28 09:12:09 EDT 2006

Good Morning Everyone,

My sincerest of thanks to all who responded to me directly re. my dilema with fixed padding capacitors of the mica/ceramic variety going "south" on me on 160-meters...

Based upon the facts so garnerd, I've pressed ahead & incorporated a scheme whereby a fixed vacuum capacitor --- in tandem with a second fully-meshed air variable --- shall supplement the "main" air variable plate tuning cap in my 2x813 linear. It's already been retrofitted, & the bench testing shall begin this morning, before I (hopefully!) can batten down all the hatches of the enclosure for the next while...

I have one favour, however, to ask of the kind gentleman who offered me detailed specifics on HOMEBREWING fixed capacitors, utilizing teflon sheets as a dielectric: might I please prevail upon you to RE-SEND your message directly to me? I had every intention of saving your communication aside for the moment, & getting a hard copy of it later on, for future reference...unfortunately, I can NOT for the life me locate your note, & I fear now that I may have inadvertently deleted it! (stoopid me). The notion of making my own inexpensive transmitting caps has always intrigued me --- in fact, some years ago I toyed with the prospects of making compact units using glass microscope slides and brass shim stock...but that was merely a dream, & you have obviously "done the deed" A-OK, & I would dearly like to re-read your thoughts & methods again, if I could...

Once more, many thanks to all who responded, & I can only hope that I did not neglect to personally send each of you a note of thanks...

~73!~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ