[Amps] shipping damage

Robert B. Bonner rbonner at qro.com
Fri Sep 29 23:37:57 EDT 2006

NO Pack to take a 4 foot drop to its head.

A friend bought a 3K Classic X from a California ham.

The seller took the amplifier to the loading dock at his business, shipping
dock staff was to palletize the amplifier for truck shipping to MN.

The amp ended up going OFF the loading dock, it landed on the HEAD and
SQUISHED it flat.

This guy was in business, he obviously was in $$$ trouble.  Left my buddy
hanging for 6 months out $2800 in cash.

Finally when lawyers were hired, the guy coughed up the money for the amp.

This one never got shipped.  Lawyers got it all.  I offered to go to CAL and
break the guy's legs for half. :-)

OVER

Yeah TOM, that spray foam stuff you used is just the greatest stuff...

I was once told by someone or a shipping company don't remember which, that

when you pack something you should keep in mind the following:  Do I think
my
packing would protect the item if it fell 3 feet to a concrete floor?
Assuming an amp like an SB-220, I would think that a very good packing job
would
be in order.  I have shipped many of these amps and I felt confident about
that trip to the concrete floor, yet on a couple of occasions they still
managed
to break them.  Shippers don't like to pay claims even when insured, it's a

hassle.
Lou