[Amps] 8877 blower requirement ?

Mike McCarthy, W1NR lists at w1nr.net
Thu Apr 5 12:47:45 EDT 2007

Bob Alexander wrote:
> Hugh,
> The 4C440 only has 60 CFM at 0 static pressure... an 8877 needs around 40
> cfm at .6" SP. and the 4c440 does not meet this spec.
> I do not know the specs on the 2C610  but it is probably around 70CFM at .6
> SP so it would be
> the best choice of the two....even though noisier.
> 73, Bob W5AH

The 3CX1500A7/8877 lists the minimum airflow and static pressure
required for adequate cooling at various power levels and altitudes.
For example at the maximum 1500W dissipation level 38 CFM at .60 inches
of pressure is required.  At 10,000 ft. the requirements are 55.5 CFM at
.88 inches of pressure.  However, an 8877 at 1000W dissipation (more in
line with Amateur legal limits) needs 20.3 CFM at .23 inches of pressure
when operated at sea level.

The manufacturer data sheet for the blower should have the CFM/pressure
curves to determine the correct requirements.  A 4C440 blower drops to
23 CFM at .5 inches pressure, so it is not adequate to cool an 8877 at
full 1500W dissipation at sea level. But, the 4C440 will deliver 49 CFM
at .3 inches, so it appears to be more than adequate for 1500W OUTPUT
applications.

See the full data sheet at http://www.g8wrb.org/triodes.php

The blower specs can be found on http://www.grainger.com

Mike, W1NR