[Amps] Ceramic capacitor ratings

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Fri Apr 13 11:20:57 EDT 2007

Hi Peter,

I think my working Q has gone up also with the addition of the large copper
coil as tuning is sharper than before. I measured the total capacitance of
the plate tune circuit with the coil removed and it measured around 95 pf.
Calculations show for a Q of 12 that plate tune should be around 55 pf on 20
meters. I also measured the inductance of my added coil by itself and it
measures around 1.4 micro henries or so. These measurements were done with
an mfj 259B. I used the minimum frequency of the unit that would be in range
to give a reading on the capacitance and inductance.
I think those values work out to be a Q of around 20.

There are a lot of leads running around to various switch assemblies for
capacitor switching and a pretty long lead to the plates of the tubes so I
don't know how much stray inductance and capacitance is present.

As to your note about working Q staying the same, why would it? By changing
nothing but the coil and unloaded Q increases wouldn't that also increase
loaded Q?

Thanks
Gary  K4FMX