[Amps] Ceramic capacitor ratings

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Fri Apr 13 18:11:14 EDT 2007

Hi Manfred,

Thanks for the comments. I understand what you are saying about the current
thru the capacitor by using the plate voltage to figure the current thru its
reactance but isn't there also circulating currents in the tank between coil
and capacitor? I read somewhere that an approximation of current thru the
capacitor was plate current times Q. I assumed that was loaded Q.
 I understand that when reducing L you must raise C to maintain resonance
and therefore the reactance of C goes down and current goes up.

But in my case where I installed a more efficient coil, I taped the coil so
that I had resonance with approximately the same amount of plate tune C as I
had before. The new coil has less resistive loss so the loaded Q should be
higher as evidence of more power output and also sharper tuning (less
bandwidth). So if the Q is raised keeping the same plate tune reactance then
circulating current has to go up and so doe's current thru the capacitor
does it not?

73
Gary  K4FMX