[Amps] RE : amp hardware

Roger D Johnson n1rj at adelphia.net
Fri Apr 13 19:11:39 EDT 2007

wc6w at juno.com wrote:
> Hi George,
>   I have an old edition of the "Machinery's Handbook" by Industrial
> Press, Inc. which devotes 6 pages of tables to that topic detailed by
> style of self-taping screw, type & thickness of material, and the hole
> forming method.
>
>   The book covers just about anything you ever need to know about the
> mechanical domain.  I'd surmise that you can find one at the Stanford
> library.
>
> 73 & Good afternoon,
>   Marv WC6W

Many years ago when I was working in the 2-way radio business, I
remember seeing
a set of punches almost like a center punch with a tapered point. They
were used to
punch holes in fender wells, etc for mounting relays and other stuff.
When used, the
metal would be dimpled and the hole punched. This resulted in much more
metal for
the threads of a sheet metal screw to bite into.  I realize this is a
lousy explanation but
I hope you get the idea. I think these would be ideal for punching holes
in aluminum
for home projects. Alas, I've never seen these since!

73, Roger

--
Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)
http://ussliberty.org/