[Amps] Ceramic capacitor ratings

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Fri Apr 13 23:09:21 EDT 2007

Now the question is about ceramic padder capacitors used in
the plate tune
circuit. There is a variable plate tune cap that is 23-347
pf that is in
series with two (parallel) ceramic small door knob type
caps. The ceramic
caps are 100 pf each for a total of 200 pf in series with
the 23-347
variable cap.>>

You somehow have to take the RMS voltage across those caps
times the reactance to find the current.

You have to treat it as a 200pF in series with whatever
capacitance the air variable is set at. Each cap gets about
half the current.

I am wondering about the current carrying capacity of these
capacitors in
the tank circuit being in series with the variable cap as
all the tank
current is going thru those caps.>>

Not all of it, but most of it is.

 Now with a better tank coil that is more
efficient I would guess that the circulating current is
higher than it was
before.>>

Not me.

Also will they handle the current in this configuration at
higher
frequencies if I try to put the amp on 15 and 10 meters?>>

I'd get rid of them Gary. They are just as good an idea as
the toroid was.

On ten meters, they do virtually nothing to reduce maximum
C. They might even increase it! The only place they have an
effect is on lower bands, and there they can cause a drift
problem. Get rid of them. Throw them in the same pile where
the silly toroid idea went.

73 Tom