[Amps] Ceramic capacitor ratings

Robert Bonner rbonner at qro.com
Sun Apr 15 09:02:18 EDT 2007

Boy exactly Peter...  I've always thought the same thing.  Pop the top off
an amplifier rated at such and such and go, whoa, these guys are dreaming.

Every amplifier I've built after the first few were built to make POWER.
All components have been CCS or larger.  I've found the amp will define the
weak links with time... I don't have the time to be fixing.

It's a different story when producing a product for sale.  There they want
to shave every cent out of the product they can.  My personal philosophy has
always been to spend a buck to save a buck.

There was a long standing joke back in the 60's regarding MAGNAVOX TV Sets.
You were meant to understand the engineers would build a fantastic TV set...
The Bean counters would then start clipping parts out of the TV until it
stopped working and then solder that part back in.  That's the set they'd
produce...

All through the 60's and 70's Magnavox TV's were nothing but TVI receivers.
They were popular because they were cheap...  A few of them in my near
neighborhood sure made my life miserable growing up.

BOB DD