[Amps] Replacements for Carbon Composition Resisotrs

Claude Frantz r31dmaeu at pc0312a.rz.unibw-muenchen.de
Thu Apr 19 06:35:04 EDT 2007

Steve Thompson wrote:

> Jeff Weinberg W8CQ wrote:

> ...What is the best replacement for these resistors in RF and/or power
> circuits, metal film or metal oxide or what??
> Or nothing. Beats me why anyone buys or sells anything else for all
> normal applications.

Sometime ago, I have found a paper from the army about this matter. If I
remember well, there was mentioned that the replacement using a newer
technology is usually not a problem. The only problem can occur if the
resistor has to support an important current pulse. New resistors
technologies are not able to support this as good as carbon composition are.

Best 73 de Claude