[Amps] LYE

Larry larry at w7iuv.com
Tue Apr 24 13:54:15 EDT 2007

Robert Bonner wrote:
> We used LYE to clean melted aluminum off steel cylinder sleeves on Top Fuel
> Dragster engines.  You could toss the sleeves into the lye and not worry
> about the steel cylinders but watch the aluminum bubble away.
Wow, Bob, I can't imagine what the concentration of that solution might
be. No matter what I do here, I can't get it to "bubble away" aluminum.
Could it be accelerated by the presence of steel? An electrochemical
process? Been way to long since my last chemistry class!!

I usually mix about 2 tablespoons of sodium hydroxide to a quart of
water. More or less depending on what I'm doing. If I'm in a big hurry,
I'll use water from the hot water tap. Even so, I can leave 0.015"
thickness sheet aluminum in the solution for an hour without being able
to measure any difference in the thickness of the sheet.

Also as stated, it's important to move things around in the tank.
Leaving parts just sit on the bottom will cause undesirable consequences.

73, Larry

--
Larry - W7IUV
DN07dg