[Amps] 230v wiring question

Robert Bonner rbonner at qro.com
Tue Apr 24 23:32:47 EDT 2007

Yawn,

Romex is a trade name of ROME Wire and Cable it is colloquially utilized to
specify NON-Metallic Cable.  The guy asking the question already called the
wire ROMEX and I stated it is a trade name for non-metallic cable as there
are International members also here to clarify.

Jim, If you have cable running through your house in California with
Non-Metallic cable with a black, white and a bare ground wire running
through it covered in plastic with a paper covering on the ground...  That's
what he was calling ROMEX. It is manufactured by a Zillion companies now,
Rome was the first.  Not to be confused with UF which is gray and has no
paper used for UNDERGROUND FEEDER (UF) NON-Metallic was all white until a
couple years ago, and now they color it to specify the ampacity of the wire
(Wire Gauge) to avoid mistakes.

Anyway, Romex type cabling Does Not specify the ground as a conductor...
12/2 has three wires.  12/3 has four.

Since the ground is not a current carrying conductor it is not counted.  It
also doesn't have to be green.

Yes many localities specify ABOVE THE NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE.  For years
Greenfield was allowed to self ground, not any more, you need to pull a
ground through the tube.  As you say, some municipalities specify a ground
with conduit.  I myself think that is overkill, but I'm sure they've seen
old rusted through corroded pipe everywhere in that old city.  In my opinion
if the pipe is rotted through, it's not long before all the wires will be
getting pulled apart anyway...  You can't protect everyone from every
situation.

The bad thing about pulling a ground is you lose one conductor per conduit.
And there are maximums you can pull for various sizes.  Many people think
you can stuff away, NOPE.  Boxes too, maximum wire counts.

Just like The NEC says you can use OO wire in a 200 Amp Power service in
residential, even though it is only rated for 195AMPS.  St Louis (Ill Side)
for instance says Nope you must use OOO cable in the same service even
though the wire is now rated for 225Amps.

I worked as an electrician in the Minneapolis area so have all their Quirks
memorized from 15 years ago.  Now living in Sioux Falls, but only wiring for
my own home these days, I had to learn all the new crap...

Arc Fault Breakers are a nice new thing to get used to.  Change your power
service here and you need to bring your whole house up to current NEC, with
local quirks.

Troubled by the last comment...  That was taping the conductors.  In
commercial 3 phase wiring you do that all the time, get the tape out and
wrap phases to indicate which is which.  This becomes very important with
HIGH LEGS and for motor rotations.

When looking in a box or a panel the wires need to be correctly colored.  If
you have a white wire carrying HOT you need to tape the exposed white
adequately to indicate it is truly a hot wire.  In big commercial installs
most wires are BLACK, you tape to identify what they are.

Bares are always grounds and don't need to be green, however...  If you were
using a black wire as a ground (done in commercial installs all the time),
you tape it green.

My tape box has all the colors in it.

So on both ends of a romex 220 line you tape around the white wire
adequately to indicate it is a black wire and not a neutral. Completely
Kosher.  The ground doesn't have to be taped green as it is obviously a
ground.  That's residential only BTW...

Have a nice night,

BOB DD