[Amps] sb220

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Apr 30 06:17:00 EDT 2007

Well, there goes another myth of my youth - thanks for clearing up the
exciter power issue.

As for power output, my decently-calibrated wattmeter says my SB-220 has
been producing roughly 175% the design power on CW, in contest service, for
the last 10 years.  Mine has the Harbach high-volume fan, as well as a
muffin fan to help power supply cooling, and a vacuum relay antenna
switching system.  It has been reliable, except for occasional filament pin
desoldering, and even that seems to be cured (fingers crossed) after the
last round of fixes.  Bottom line - the SB-220 is a nice conservative
design, still putting out a lot of watts-per-dollar after all these years.

73, Pete N4ZR