[Amps] LK 500 ZA heat

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Mon Aug 13 22:41:55 EDT 2007

> What was the original question?

Whether to suck or blow.

>> intake fan that is directing cool air at them.  OK, so you notice that a
>> fan in your computer is in the power supply and in the exhaust path.  It
>> is there because it is the cheapest place, not because it works best.

Those old computers had low wattage power supplies that didn't take a lot of
cooling either.
Check the newer and higher powered computers. I have 5 and all have the fan
on the INPUT side of the PS, not the output. They are also 140 mm, low RPM,
nice and quiet fans.

>> The fan on your CPU blows onto the CPU and the fan on your video card
>> blows onto the video chip.

>> BTW, the reason your fan is electric is because most engines are
>> transverse mounted in front wheel drive vehicles and because it is
>> cheaper.

They were using the same set up well before the front wheel drive was
common, but  an electric fan and control is a fraction of the cost of the
old mechanical clutch they used for a while. The electric motor is also a
whale of a lot more reliable. Another reason is that mechanical fan running
all the time takes substantial energy to run at cruise speed. Also a fan
that isn't turning fast enough as one at high way crusing offeres more
drag/restriction to the air flow than does one with the blades stopped. This
was one of the things they did to try and raise fuel efficency.

BTW I have seen set ups that had the fan drive shaft  run through a hole
the center of the radiator. I don't remember what they were on and that was
quite a few years back.

73

Roger (K8RI)
>> 73, Tim, W2UI
>>
>> jeremy-ca wrote:
>>> Tom, you are so predictable. When you cant come up with a real answer
>>> you
>>> resort to personal attacks.
>>>
>>> I dont know when the last time you lifted the hood in a car but
>>> horsepower
>>> robbing engine driven fans have been out of favor for around 25 years.
>>> The
>>> choice of all manufacturers is an electric pulling fan. This also holds
>>> for
>>> 500-800 hp and higher street rods with big V8's stuffed in very
>>> restrictive
>>> spaces. The Internet is full of studies of the comparisons between push