[Amps] 220V wiring logistics

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Dec 3 14:26:25 EST 2007

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:18:02 -0500, Gary Smith wrote:

>I've got no "good" way to run 220 to the shack

While there may be CODE issues, it is pretty SAFE to install a
new, proper 240V outlet wired with the hot wire from the "A" side
of the panel going to one hot blade of the outlet and the hot wire
from the "B" side of the panel going to the other blade. The
ground pin MUST be the ground wire, NOT the neutral. To be SAFE,
the "hot" wires MUST follow the same path as the associated safety
ground (green) wire all the way between the panel and the outlet.

Another recommendation. I would take the advice that others have
offered to ignore some of your parents' direction regarding not
modifying things with the guideline that you 1) do it SAFELY and
2) if you do it SAFELY, what they don't know won't hurt them. And
buying and installing a new panel is a VERY good idea.

I wrote the tutorial below for people working in pro audio, but it
applies to home wiring too. It may help you understand and think
about your problem. I've started a version of this for hams, but
not had time to finish it.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SurgeXPowerGround.pdf

Now, there's another problem you may not have thought about, but
you should. When you fire up that Titan, you're going to find the
RFI susceptibility lurking in all kinds of stuff in your (their)
home. Radios, telephones, home entertainment systems, etc. That's
likely to be a far greater problem than the 240V outlet. It was
for me in Chicago when I did the same thing several years ago in
the 110-year old house I owned. When you get to that stage, check
out

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73,

Jim Brown K9YC