[Amps] Tranformer Suppliers

Jim Tonne tonne at comcast.net
Fri Dec 7 18:21:46 EST 2007

Steve:

I don't think its a matter of getting the materials
because the lamination folks won't sell to an
individual a quantity for a single transformer.

And I don't think its a matter of how to do it.
The basics are in books.  But what is NOT in
the books are the little tricks of the trade that
guys like Peter know all about.

And we have this little matter of the machines
needed to do the winding.  We as individuals
simply can't wind huge windings layer by layer
without the necessary apparatus.  And how do
we as individuals dip the resultant in varnish,
perhaps in a vacuum?

This is one area where the individual homebrew
fellow just can't do it, as an individual can't make
his own tubes or transistors.  Oh yes I, too, have
taken old TV power transformers (in the olden
days!) and modified them.  But we are talking
about 50 watts there, not a kW or two or more
as in today's world.

- Jim WB6BLD