[Amps] How to ID a swinging choke?

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Sat Dec 8 09:46:54 EST 2007

"Is there a simple bench test or an eyeball way to tell the difference
between a fixed and swinging choke?"

The eyeball test involves looking to see if there is a rope or chain holding
it up.  If there is, hold your head stationary and watch to see if the choke
moves.  If it moves, it is a swinging choke.  If there is no rope or chain
and it does not move, it is fixed.  This test does not apply on shipboard.

73,  Colin  K7FM

Since the inductance of a swinging choke varies with current, I think you
will find that if you measure the inductance with no current flowing, you
will find an inductance much higher than the standard smoothing choke.  So,
if you use an inductance meter, and measure much more than 8 hy, I would
suspect a swinging choke.

The swinging choke has an air gap.  Well, actually it is a non-conducting
gap in the core.  It can be brass or bakelite.  Also, the insulation is much
greater, because the peak voltage can be much higher.

You should be able to actually test the choke at very low voltage (under 10
volts) and get useful results by varying the current through it.