[Amps] MFJ

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Dec 9 17:30:37 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra at sasktel.net>
To: "'Jim Brown'" <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com>; <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2007 1:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Amps] MFJ

> OK Mr Jim how about listing all the companies that MFJ has pushed out of
> the market.  Then we can decide, rather than you, whether it was a good
> thing or otherwise.  If MFJ has cornered the market, then why aren't
> their prices pushed higher for the same quality?  Let me suggest that
> either it is a corporate mission to keep prices low or it is competition
> that keeps prices low - Jim, welcome to the free enterprise system.  You
> are welcome to buy something with a fancier enclosure if that makes you
> happy.
>
> Doug
>
> I strongly disagree. When a company blankets a market with low cost low
> quality stuff (as MFJ and Walmart do), it usually pushes other companies
> with
> better quality stuff at a somewhat higher prices out of the market (and
> often
> out of biz). Some may see that as a good thing, but I don't.
>
> 73,
>
> Jim Brown K9YC

Doug,

I think you are assuming the ham market is perfectly elastic and
that it operates with great efficiency. If MFJ buys Ameritron and
doesn't preserve the level of quality, but instead pursues the lower
price points at the expense of quality because consumers decide
that's what they want, then those with a desire for value/quality
mix that Ameritron used to offer are left without that choice. There
is no guarantee that a supplier with that same mix of quality and
value will materialize. The ham market is just not that elastic.

In other words, are consumer really winning if MFJ takes a $600
tuner that is built reasonable well and value engineers it down to
$450 but the knobs fall off and turns counter breaks over and
over again? Maybe most ham consumers like fixing their tuners
over and over again (it is ham radio after all). Personally, I don't.

MFJ is free to do whatever is wants in terms of quality and price.
It is free enterprise after all, but if they take a good brand and
run it downhill, then I see no reason to celebrate that. By the way,
I am not saying they have done that with Ameritron (just using that
as an example). Frankly I am worried they will, but I don't know
that it is happening and I sure hope it doesn't.