[Amps] Amps] High voltage rectifiers for Henry 3K

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Mon Dec 24 19:06:11 EST 2007

> That would be like putting a Chevy 350 into a '65 Mustang (or a  Ford 390
> into a '70 Chevelle 354). It will work, perhaps look OK, but still a
> 'butcher'
> job.

And a 440 into an old roadster is considered a "custom" job worth far more
than the original.<:-)) There are a couple of places out in Ca that do this
sort of thing for a hundred grand and up. They have waiting lists.

Sorry, I just can't believe that installing an improved recitifier stack
makes it a "bucher" job if done by any one posessing even rudimentary skills
at working with resins and knows how to build a power supply.  OTOH I've
seen repair jobs using factory components that really did look like a
butcher job, so it's far more the skill of the one doing the job than the
parts.

Second source rectifier stacks are the same thing as I'm talking about. The
only difference is they use a permanent mold rather than a cast of the
original stack. For that matter the originals are constructed the same way.
With only a little skill the home brew stack looks as good as the original
and a bit of research could contain the same parts. However, many of us
could produce something much more robust than the original that still looked
like the original for far less money.

The transformer in mine has been replaced by a heavy duty Peter Dahl which
is generally considered an improvement.

I'd place the new rectifier stack properly constructed in the same class.

73

Roger (K8RI)