[Amps] power supply transformer

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Feb 1 05:53:51 EST 2007

> What are the transformer design differences between, for
> instance, a
> transformer designed to convert 480vac to 120vac and is
> labeled a
> control transformer, to a plate transformer designed to
> convert 120vac
> to 480vac and used with rectifiers to provide plate
> voltage to an amplifier?

Transformers used in capacitor input supplies require
special design care for good or optimum performance.
Capacitor input supplies draw current from the power mains
and power transformer only over a very short period of each
cycle.

The power factor, because of this very high ratio of peak
current to average current, is very poor. As a matter of
fact the better you build a capacitor input supply the worse
the power factor gets!

Because of the very high peak current standard wire gauge
tables for current don't work. To prevent peak clipping and
excessive loss of peak voltage and heating under load, the
wire SIZE has to be increased far beyond what you expect for
a conventional load with low or modest power factor. The
transformer designer has to pack as much copper as possible
in the transformer window, use the fewest turns possible
(high flux density), and make other changes that reduce
transformer ESR.

Control transformers work fine as transformers, but they
have little or no design consideration given to voltage
regulation or peak current. The windings are generally sized
to the minimum wire size for the load current and cores are
operated well below saturation (which means the windings
have unnecessary length). There also can be voltage
breakdown issues when used with some rectifier systems,
because no consideration is given to dc bias on windings.

This doesn't mean they won't work, but it does mean they
often produce poor regulation and heat more than a
transformer designed for the specific application of high
power factor capacitor input supplies. It also means if you
lift the secondary and run a doubler, you might have
premature transformer failure from insulation deterioration.

As an example I have some 25 pound 2100VAC to 120/240 VAC
hypersil control transformers here. They are about the
physical size of an AL-1200 transformer and use the same
core. Secondary dc resistance is 50 ohms. The AL1200
transformer, about the same voltage range,  is only about
ten ohms. The control transformer would run hotter and have
much poorer voltage regulation.

Regulation is much less of a problem in a choke input supply
because power factor is lower, but heat can still be a
problem since we tend to abuse transformer ratings and the
copper losses are high.

73 Tom