[Amps] 3-500z - intermittent filament

David G4FTC g4ftc at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 6 12:11:06 EST 2007

>From: "Robert B. Bonner" wrote
>

>Well the amplifiers where where air blew sideways across the tubes and pins
>instead of through the sockets or didn’t have enough airflow due to NOISE
>CONCERNS developed a syndrome.

That reminds me of a conversation I had with someone on the Alpha stand at
Dayton a few years ago.

I commented upon what I thought was a rather hot exhaust temperature on one
of their amps and asked whether it would have been better to increase the
airflow.

The answer was quite simple - blower/fan noise is the biggest turn-off to
potential buyers. More air flow means more noise, and in order to sell an
amplifier in an amateur market, blower/fan noise must be kept to the
absolute minimum.

However, the use of the ceramic bases and the fan as opposed to a proper
blower and Eimac air system sockets for the SB-220 and the L4B is more
likely to be for commercial reasons - i.e. getting a product to market for
no more than a certain price.

David G4FTC