[Amps] DI water explainationTSPA

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Tue Feb 6 19:01:07 EST 2007

> "You don't use DI water with steel or iron piping.
Use stainless steel, brass, copper, or plastics."

One point of interest with the Alpha 70V is that copper appears to be the
only metal that comes in contact with water.  The condenser is of a special
design that uses soft rosin-core solder, rather than the acid-core type that
is often used when bonding auto radiators.   I haven't had a good look to
determine if solder is also directly exposed to water.

I will need to dig up the article, but I believe this was discussed by Jack
Quinn, author of "The Stanley Steamer," back in the May, 1966 issue of QST.
At the time, I believe Jack was Eimac's Product Manager.  In the article, he
went on to explain that even brass tubing and fittings can add to water
contamination over long periods of time.

I almost forgot that this topic was covered by Dick Ehrhorn here on the AMPS
reflector nearly a decade ago.  Here's his insight on vapor cooling and he
even credits John Lyles in the middle:

http://lists.contesting.com/_amps/1998-08/msg00030.html

Paul, W9AC