[Amps] Drake L4B

Jim Zellmer jim at ka0vsl.com
Tue Feb 6 21:51:38 EST 2007

I recently picked up a nice L4B with power supply, SN 1934.  The tube
marking was pretty faded, but are Eimac 3-500Zs, date code 7115.  the
amp and PS are real clean and look physically pretty good.  I have
removed the two filter cap/ diodes boards from the PS.  I think the
Sprauge caps are original.  They all reformed nicely and are showing
less that 1 ma current at 450 volts.  I will likely change out the
diodes for some 3A 1KV diodes and button things up.  Are there any other
caveats, or issues that I should be looking for before I put this thing
on line.  General comments on the L4B are welcomed.  I will be using the
amp with my Drake B line twins.

73

Jim Zellmer
KA0VSL