[Amps] General question on filament life

Gary Myers garymyers at powerc.net
Thu Feb 8 18:47:16 EST 2007

I had responded to one individual offgroup... I am self employed and have
the ability to monitor the bands all day... thus the ability to work someone
if I so choose... Since moving to AZ, or more importantly since getting back
on the air after a 15 year absence last year - from AZ for the first time, I
decided to kind of half-heartedly do DXCC over again from here just for my
own personal kicks... thus there are times when there is a new band-country
available (if it is new the amp goes on - period) that I might decide to try
for or might decide not to ... based often on the lack of desire to cycle
the amp (and yes I do work a great deal without the amp). Thus my questions
basis ... better just to leave it on or is it less harmful, compared to the
first option, just to cycle it several times during the day? [I always let
it cool down completely before shutting it down].

...and the 3 minute time delay on the amp comes in here as well - begging
for the "leave it on" scenario - I have lost opportunities due to this wait
time more often than one would think!

the more general result of this conversation - if there is an objective
result - is to aid others in knowing the answer as well... instead of being
told "don't cycle your amp too much"!

g.