[Amps] General question on filament life

Robert B. Bonner rbonner at qro.com
Thu Feb 8 19:39:17 EST 2007

Gary and I have been discussing this most of the afternoon… Much of what we’ve been talking about is along the lines of what Lou stated here.

Basically within reason, I will turn my amp off if I will not be using it for a couple hours.  I usually will not do more than two cycles a day.  Most of my operating is evening, one cycle.

Like PHIL, my amp comes on when the radio does, but I know I’m going to be transmitting.

I currently don’t have a standby switch, but I don’t need one.  ☺

I mentioned Gary should be able to get a good 15 years worth of use out of his tubes if he follows good operating sense and doesn’t make a mistake with them.

If he ran them continuously I estimate 3 years.  Cycling them reasonably will get you to 15 so why burn the candles?  The owner of my 77DD got 15 years out of the 8877’s before he replaced them.  I consider that just peachy.

I figure it’s a sliding window of use.  Never turn them on, lasts almost forever, hahahaha.   Run them forever and they last 3 years.  Judicious use and you get 15 years.

I am curious, how many of you guys have put a current meter on your filaments?  I did once and scared the crap out of myself.  When ramping up the filaments before they START TO GLOW, they are VERY low resistance and the current is crazy!!!  I highly recommend getting past that point rather quickly and on to the fine adjustment to set the voltage.

IF you did a filament step start I WOULD NEVER CONSIDER ANYTHING LONGER THAN 1 SECOND because of this high current scenario.

BOB DD