[Amps] General question on filament life

Gudguyham at aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Fri Feb 9 03:01:39 EST 2007

In a message dated 2/8/2007 6:47:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
garymyers at powerc.net writes:

the more  general result of this conversation - if there is an objective
result - is  to aid others in knowing the answer as well... instead of being
told  "don't cycle your amp too much"!

Gary, I think Tom "JI" summed it up nicely by saying that regardless of how
well you step start the filament, there is ALWAYS going to be the thermal
effect.  You can't get away from that no how.  So based on that, one  would
conclude that leaving the amp "on" during a session of ham radio might be  a better
choice than cycling it on/off several times in a few hour period.   As usual
there is always the pro and con people here on the amps reflector BUT  that is
why we are all here, we are here for INPUT be it pro or con. Once you  have
heard the testimony YOU ARE THE JURY, do what makes sense to you based on  what
was offered.  I have been on here now for about 15 years or so many  fellows
have come and gone all with varied opinions about everything (you know  what
they say about opinions?) Often times I agree and sometimes I disagree, but
what I like is that I have heard both sides to the story and draw my own
conclusions based on all the data.
Keep the questions coming.  73 Lou