[Amps] Lamps and surge protection

John Nelson john at crew-green.com
Mon Feb 12 03:46:21 EST 2007

>I can't remember ever changing a bulb that's on a dimmer where it's always
wound up from zero.<

One of my amplifier PSCUs has six meters on the front panel, each backlit
via two small 6V wire-ended bulbs. These are fed from an internal rail which
ramps up to +5V in about ten seconds or so. This PSCU has been in regular
service since 1980 and none of its meters have yet needed a bulb change. A
low-voltage PSU has two similarly backlit meters with 12V bulbs fed directly
from a 6.3VAC winding. One or other seems to fail every few months.

For those who recall such happy times, the meters are all small Shinohara
items from the Edgware Road in its glory days :-(

John
GW4FRX