[Amps] 1 tube or two ??

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Mon Feb 12 11:15:31 EST 2007

Hi All,

I have nothing at all against the use of newer tubes whatsoever...however,
there IS a point that nobody has touched upon that merits consideration, and
that is the PRICE of the active device(s) we might wish to build an
amplifier around...

Sure, a 4-1000A, 813, 4-400, etc. may be "...old-fashioned" compared to
to-day's tubes, but I'm retired, I'm frugal, and I'm especially nostalgic
about the "old fashioned" prices these jugs can still be had for to-day
(assuming, of course, you're a wisened shopper).

Sure, we'd all dearly love to drive the big Benz's / Beemers / Ferraris / et
al in our dreams, but let's face it, most of us only have lowly Chevy's,
Toyotas, & pick-ups parked in our driveways...yet these vanilla vehicles
will transport us from point "A" to "B", just as readily as a kilowatt will
send our signals from point "A" to point "B", be that signal from a 4-1000A,
or an 8877...

Meanwhile, I continue to buy the odd lottery ticket here & there, with my
fingers crossed!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ