[Amps] General question on filament life

Harold Mandel ka1xo at juno.com
Mon Feb 12 14:00:16 EST 2007

At home we have a floor lamp from the year Gimel  (3)
that uses a Mogul screw-in base lamp, and the original
socket had a three-way switch to allow for 150 - 200 - 300
watt bulbs.

I replaced the three-way switch with a single terminal
non-switched mogul socket because single filament
mogul bulbs can still be found, and we run this
fixture off of a wall dimmer.

When turning on the dimmer, this giant bulb
sings so loud you can hear it across the room.

If the bulb is singing, what might the filament be
experiencing?

Hal