[Amps] 1 tube or two ??

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Mon Feb 12 14:29:23 EST 2007

> Plotting an amplifier with one tube capable of 1KW
> anode dissipation, let's say a 4-1000A with 6KV @ 1.0A
> anode horsepower, versus a two-tube architecture with
> a corresponding 6KV @ 2A supply should achieve
> some net output power results, yes?
>
> If it's to be 4-1000A's, let's keep them Tetrodes with
> corresponding Grid-Driven input and Screen supplies
> to avoid the pitfalls of G-G inefficiencies.

If we are talking a linear amp here then 6KV @1.0 A is pushing it a little
on a single 4-1000A wouldn't you say?

6 KW input at 60% efficiency should give around 3600 watts out. 6000 watts -
3600 watts leaves 2400 watts plate dissipation. Can it be done, I suppose
but kind of tuff on the tube and I will be IM is not so great either.

73
Gary  K4FMX