[Amps] Switching PS for filaments?

Robert B. Bonner rbonner at qro.com
Sun Feb 18 16:13:17 EST 2007

BTW celebrating 36 years "legally" on the radio this weekend.

I blew the control grids out of my homebrew 4  813 amplifier by cranking the
power up too high to squeeze the last couple watts out.  It still made power
but only about 1/4 as much.

I've only had a GRID TO CATHODE short on a 3-400 in my Drake L4 and I did it
at 15 years old by turning to transmit with the power turned all the way up.
A late at night accident, whoops $60 spent at Heathkit store to buy two new
3-500Z tubes

I've had a CATHODE weld failure on an 8877 and Eimac admitted to a run of
bad tubes and replaced it for free.  1979 code date.

I'd call that so far so good.

BOB DD