[Amps] ML!-2500 Filter Cap Replacement

Kimberly Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 19 09:52:04 EST 2007

Thanks, Tom.

Yes, there are carbon comp resistors across the caps and I plan to replace those with metal film; I'll look for carbon comp resistors across the rectifiers and pull them.

The story I read (someplace) on carbon comp resistors is mixed: in any service where they might dissipate anything more than about 50% orftheir rating (maybe less), they will drift down. I've seen this happen a few times always with disastrous (or nearly so) results. The other end is if they never get very warn, or are simply stored. In such cases, what I read claimed that they drift *up* because the clay in the composition material swells slightly, reducing the overall resistance. This I haven't seen, but I've never run across an old stash of carbon comp resistors, either.

The amp never saw much service and the 8875 tubes are still in good shape. I need to add grid protection circuitry to them since they'll probbaly last forever if and only if the grids are treated with kid gloves. My Dad *may* have a spare ste of them, too, but given they they now consist of unobtainium, I want to insure the integrity of what's there.

Thanks again!

Kim, N5OP