[Amps] Power Transistor Question -- 2SC5125

rgroh at swbell.net rgroh at swbell.net
Mon Feb 19 13:24:55 EST 2007

The figures I remember on semiconductor temperature and reliability go something like this:
1.     Typical lifetime at junction temperature of 200 degC is somewhere in 10,000 hour range
2.    Lifetime doubles for each 10 degC drop in temperature

Probably could dig up something more explicit with a little searching but this is a reasonable approximation. Other points to keep in mind:
3.    Junction temperature is NOT heatsink temperature! Junction to case thermal impedance might be in the 0.5 degC/W area then add case to heatsink of 0.5 to 1.5 degC / watt then add heatsink to ambient of (highly variable) 5 degC/W up to 15 degC/w  for a total of 6 to 18 degC/W. Now pump 100W of thermal energy through that impedance and you get a very, very high juntion temperature. Ouch.

Interesting engineering question that has kept me involved in fun stuff over the years.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY