[Amps] Getting rid of blower noise - an alternate coolingschemeusing the phase transition of liquid carbon dioxide

jeff millar wa1hco at adelphia.net
Thu Feb 22 23:03:26 EST 2007

Robert B. Bonner wrote:
> Yeah it was a Flight #XXX (insert your favorite disaster here) disaster in
> SLOW MOTION.  I have watched the footage maybe 100 times and it is one of
> the saddest things to watch as an airline pilot.
>
> No body knows the exact nature of the fire, that's what's so spooky.  My
> theory is the wireless operator was in QSO with W2HCW at the time of
> landing.

I saw a documentary that delved into the paint used on the Hindenburg.  They claimed it included
aluminum power and some other chemical (butyl?) that made it approximate rocket fuel.  They found a
patch of material from the old Hindeburg, flame tested it, and it looked like a sparkler going off.

One point they made...hydrogen burns with a nearly invisible flame.  So the brightness for the
Hindenburg fire suggests that something else was burning.

Apparently hydrogen floats upward so quickly, that when a gaseous release burns it doesn't do much
damage at ground level.

So, don't paint your amps with aluminum power (there! on topic.)

jeff, wa1hco