[Amps] winding conductors on edge into inductances TSPA

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Tue Feb 27 12:18:12 EST 2007

>Message: 2
>How do they wind edge wound inductors?
>I can conceive of a cylindrical former with a helical slot in it,
>and the well anealed strip being wound into it, but I would have
>thought that getting the strip out afterwards must be fun. Or is it
>a collapsible former? That would be even more fun from a viewpoint
>of the tolerances on the slot and the uniformity of the helix.
>73
>Peter G3RZP

I am going to make a guess for this, when you use tooling on a
rotating cylinder of raw stock, a spiral of metal comes off, in the
shape of a coil. If you do this with a propertly set up lathe, you
should have a scrap piece which is the desired coil. Now if you can
do this work with a lathe, and cut out exactly the coil you would
like, turning the ID and OD, and the thickness, you should have the
conductor you need already in the turned diameter of the coil. Then
it would be wound onto a former, screwed into it, so to speak. Does
this agree with reality? I don't know.

John
K5PRO