[Amps] Alpha 87a High SWR between Exciter and Amp vs Bad Bandswitch

JOS Earthlink jsternmd at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 2 23:35:38 EST 2007

Hi Mike,

When I said the 87a "autotunes" what I meant was I would set the band
setting on the 87a to lets say 10m or 15m and then I would xmit on 80m and
the 87a would "autotune" = auto-bandswitch back to 80m.  At this point, if I
do it a few times, there still is an intermittent high SWR > 5 and the
TS-950 folds back power to the 87a.  I did this to prove to myself that the
intermittent problem was in the 87a and not the TS-950 bandswitching, etc.
The latest commenta from Tom says RF on the shield should not be a problem
unless there is a break in the shielding somewhre but I don't buy this as
the drop in my SWR was :

1) dramatic across all bands -  now 1.0-1.1
2) independent of the coax jumpers I used
3) same with a different dummy load (both relatively new items)
4) verified by interposing my Powermaster meter between the TS-950 and 87a
to verify the improvement in SWR

I don't have an RF current meter but the line isolator seemed to make a big
difference.  I even tried it with with and wtihout a different T4 isolator
and same results.

Any thoughts on the 87a intermittent bandswitch problem?

73 Jerry
K1JOS
CCA #11906