[Amps] EIMAC (8877 TYPE)

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Sun Jan 21 04:13:19 EST 2007

Tom W8JI wrote:
>> It is
>> obviously important to be able to separate the theory,  myths
>> or crap from the jewels of information.  I continually
>> support my philosophy by the experience factor.  'Experience
>> trumps theory every time.'
>
>Not actually.

That little word "theory" is a trap. It has two entirely different
meanings.

1. Theory: a hypothesis or speculation. The next step is to test it, so
practical experience does trump that kind of "theory", every time.

But there is also:

2. Theory: the distillation of knowledge about the physical world, based
on literally billions of practical experiences, from precise laboratory
measurements down to everyday activities like switching on the light.

That body of "theory" is rock-solid. Circuit theory interlocks with
electromagnetic theory interlocks with basic physics... so that's RF
engineering pretty much covered.

If practical experience seems to contradict that kind of theory, it's a
reliable sign that you got something wrong. And that can be a very
useful thing to know.

RF engineering uses both of those meanings... so just be sure which one
you 're dealing with.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek