[Amps] power supply transformer

Patrick A. Thompson Sr. wa4tuk-rf at comcast.net
Wed Jan 31 20:17:41 EST 2007

This is related but not quite on topic.

What are the transformer design differences between, for instance, a
transformer designed to convert 480vac to 120vac and is labeled a
control transformer, to a plate transformer designed to convert 120vac
to 480vac and used with rectifiers to provide plate voltage to an amplifier?

I have often thought that using a control transformer in this reverse
manner would be reasonable. That is, 120vac in to 480vac out for use as
a plate transformer.

Or better, a pair of say 500va control transformers used to give 960vac
out and with a voltage doubler giving near 2600vdc with 1000va available.

What am I missing? Insulation? The only thing that comes to mind is
perhaps the control transformer has increased internal resistance
compared to normal plate transformers. In this case, is reducing the
expected current draw enough to compensate?

Dollarwise, the only reason to consider using control transformers as
plate transformers is their availability on the surplus market.

I would not ask if I already knew the answers!

Pat
wa4tuk