[Amps] AL-80A tube glow

Gudguyham at aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Sat Jul 7 06:22:56 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/7/2007 3:10:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
kim.ostman at tut.fi writes:

Something that I've paid notice to only as of late in the 3-500Z  tube
is a gradually increasing orange or light red colored glow in  the
metallic cooler wings(?) as one sends CW of SSB during an  "over". Is
it normal for the tube to begin glowing like that, or is  something
wrong?

A.  Under normal transmitting conditions at 700 to 1000 watts output  it is
NORMAL for a single 3-500 tube to show such color.  HOWEVER you  mention the
tube shows color on an "over".  I assume you mean that the amp  is in standby
mode and not transmitting.  In the stand by mode the tube  should show NO color
it should be biased to cut off.  IF... there is color  shown at this time,
there is a problem in the bias circuit and it should be  looked into.  But
transmitting, the tube may show color and that would be  normal.  Lou