[Amps] Re 200w fast relay

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Mon Jul 9 14:16:59 EDT 2007

> "I found the RSD-12V relay, but it is actually an AROMAT brand (data sheet
says c2000 from Matsushita). I'll get samples and test them and publish the
results."

Tom,

WD7S made some measurements back in 2004 although more testing is always a
good thing:

http://home.earthlink.net/~wd7s/updates.htm

Looks like with a boost in acceleration, the relay should come to complete
closure in ~ 350us.   As others have stated, this relay is extremely quiet
when shock-mounted.  It is used as the T/R relay in several transceivers,
including the Kenwood TS-870.  Unfortunately, manufacturers have not done a
very good job with acoustic isolation and the PCB to which they are mounted
to act as an acoustic sound board that amplifies the click.  When I owned a
TS-870, I inverted the relay upside down on the PCB to add slightly more
wire length, and used ultra-flexible Litz wire.  The result is a T/R relay
that can only be heard when the ear is placed on the transceiver.

Paul, W9AC